After listening to eight hours of emotional testimony, the state Board of Land and Natural Resources voted Friday night to approve emergency rules to restrict access to the summit of Mauna Kea in an attempt to restore order and allow the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope to proceed.
Click here to check out the report of our media partner, KITV.
The restrictions were approved in a 5-2 vote.
“We need the tools to keep order on the mountain,” said board member Chris Yuen.
TMT opponent Kahookani Kanuha voices his opposition to the new rules during the DLNR Board meeting Friday.
Cory Lum/Civil Beat
But opponents of the $1.4 billion telescope project vowed to disobey the new rules.
“There can be no question, there will be mass coordinated civil disobedience on Mauna Kea to break these rules,” said Andre Perez.
The construction has been on hold since protestors placed boulders in the road last month to block vehicles from reaching the site.
On Thursday, the University of Hawaii said that “safety, trespassing and interference with official function; resource management: threats to natural, histoical and cultural resources and social impacts: harassing/hostile/intimidating comments or gestures” caused it to close the access road on June 24.
The new restrictions, which will be in effect for 120 days, include the following:
(a) The area referred to in this rule as the “restricted area” is defined as any lands in the public hunting area that includes the Mauna Kea Observatory Access Road and one mile on either side of the Mauna Kea Observatory Access road.
(b) As used in this rule, the term “transiting” means operating, or being a passenger in, a motor vehicle traveling at a reasonable and prudent speed and having regard to the actual and …
Loading Land Board Approves Restrictions on Mauna Kea Access…