10 Questions for the Mayoral Candidates09/03/2010
Civil Beat sent the three leading candidates for Honolulu mayor the same questionnaire.
The questions are below. To read their answers, go to their respective topic pages (scroll down to the bottom of their pages):
1) Does the city have a fair and equitable tax structure? Is there anything you would change about it? If so, why? If not, why is the current structure so good?
2) What would you do to address the crisis in affordable housing in Honolulu?
3) How would your administration address homelessness differently from the administration of Mayor Mufi Hannemann?
4) Do you support the use of furloughs, which impact residents and visitors, over pay cuts or layoffs for city workers? If so, why? If not, why not?
5) Would you complete the rail project as planned in the final EIS or would you try to change it or terminate it? In either case, why?
6) Could the city do anything differently to support small business? If so, what? If not, why not?
7) What should the city do with its trash?
8) Would you support banning personal fireworks in Honolulu?
9) What would you want to be remembered for as mayor of Honolulu?
10) If you could change one decision of the previous mayor, what would it be? Why?
DISCUSSION: Join the conversation about the mayoral election.