The Hawaii congresswoman’s national rise invites closer scrutiny of her family ties to an offbeat religious community. Her fiancé and chief of staff also grew up in families affiliated with the sect.
Kainoa Penaroza is a health-food sales manager with little political experience and no apparent background in Washington, D.C. But the high-profile congresswoman has tapped him to be her top political adviser.
Most Popular Stories
- Ready or Not, Hawaii Should Prepare for Concealed Carry
- Culture Cave: The Brain Drain Runs Both Ways, You Know
- Hawaii Could Have Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Next Year
- Payday Lenders: It's Time to Rein In Hawaii's Loan Sharks
- The Projector: Civil Beat Checks Out a Gun Show as the Legislature Continues
- Hawaiian Electric CEO: We Will Continue to Pursue LNG
- US Senate Endorses Same-Sex Marriage Benefits
- Lawsuit Filed Over 'Hawaii Five-O' Theme
- Lockheed Martin, Kampachi Farms Team Up on Ocean Aquaculture
- Schatz Pushes for Federal Financing of Transit-Oriented Development