The Hawaii congresswoman’s national rise invites closer scrutiny of her family ties to an offbeat religious community. Her fiancé and chief of staff also grew up in families affiliated with the sect.
Most Popular Stories
- Civil Bytes: A Haole Stuck in Traffic
- The Cost of My Cancer in Hawaii
- The Price of a Place Called Home on Oahu
- Did Bullying By a Supervisor Cause an HPD Officer to Take His Own Life?
- Ian Lind: The Legal Challenge to the Thirty Meter Telescope
- The Projector: Senators, Reps Rub Elbows During Conference Committee
- Battle Over Geothermal Contract Plays Out in Court and at PUC
- Living Hawaii: Middle-Class Millionaires
- Senate Panel Adopts Rules for Brickwood Galuteria Residency Challenge
- Work on Rail Tax Compromise Moves Behind Closed Doors
Kainoa Penaroza is a health-food sales manager with little political experience and no apparent background in Washington, D.C. But the high-profile congresswoman has tapped him to be her top political adviser.