The Hawaii congresswoman’s national rise invites closer scrutiny of her family ties to an offbeat religious community. Her fiancé and chief of staff also grew up in families affiliated with the sect.
Most Popular Stories
- Peter Apo: The TMT Honors Mauna Kea Through Universal Exploration
- Why Do We Shortchange One of Hawaii's Official Languages?
- Mayor Hires 'Fresh Set of Eyes' to Monitor Honolulu Rail Project
- Hot Enough For You? It's Likely to Get Worse
- The Public Has a Right to Know How Government Decisions Are Made
- Neal Milner: An Idyllic Niche In Kakaako
- Ian Lind: Former PUC Chair Speaks Out Against Solar Subsidies
- What Will It Take to Make Hawaii’s Vacant Public Housing Units Habitable?
- Hawaii Longline Bigeye Fishery Hits Limit, Forcing Early Closure
- Matson to Pay Hawaii $15 Million for 2013 Molasses Spill