Hawaii Accountability Project
Civil Beat was the Hawaii partner in what's known as the State Integrity Investigation.
The State Integrity Investigation measured the strength of laws and practices that encourage openness and deter corruption in all 50 states. The project was a data-driven assessment of transparency, accountability and anti-corruption mechanisms.
Journalists in 2011 and early 2012 worked with the Center for Public Integrity, Global Integrity and Public Radio International on what turned out to be a massive and challenging reporting effort. The project was funded in part by the Omidyar Network, a philanthropic investment firm founded by Civil Beat Publisher and CEO Pierre Omidyar and his wife, Pam.
Hawaii got a C grade, coming in 11th overall. However the state fared poorly when it came to what's called the enforcement gap, the difference between what the law says and the reality on the ground. It ranked 44th by that measure.
Here is a complete list of the stories Civil Beat produced on government accountability in Hawaii:
- All Is Not Sunny When It Comes to Ethics in Hawaii
- Grading the Nation: How Accountable Is Your State?
- Civil Beat and the State Accountability Project
- Accountability Project: Hawaii Compared With Other States
- Hawaii Ranks Near Bottom for Enforcement of Transparency Laws
- List - The 6 States Less Accountable Than Hawaii
- List - Top 3 Areas Where Hawaii Less Accountable Than Other States
- Hawaii Accountability Project — Public Access to Information, In Law
- Public Access to Information, in Practice
- Can Hawaii's Governor Be Held Accountable for His Actions?
- Are Hawaii's Top State Executives Subject to Criminal Proceedings?
- Are There Conflict of Interest Rules For Hawaii's Executives?
- Are Hawaii's Conflict of Interest Regulations Effective?
- Is The Way Hawaii Selects Judges Transparent?
- Can Hawaii Judges Be Held Accountable for Their Actions?
- Are Hawaii Judges Governed By Conflict Of Interest Rules
- Are Hawaii Laws Governing Conflicts Of Interest for Judges Effective
- Can Hawaii Residents Access Judges' Asset Disclosure Records?
- Does Hawaii Have Civil Service Regulations?
- Is Hawaii Law Governing Public Officials Effective?
- Does Hawaii Have Conflict Of Interest Rules for Civil Servants?
- Are Hawaii's Conflict of Interest Rules Effective?
- Can Hawaii Residents View Asset Disclosures Of Senior Civil Servants?
- Does Hawaii Protect Whistleblowers?
- Does Hawaii Have An Effective Process For Civil Servants To Report Corruption?
- Does Hawaii Have a State Auditor?
- Is Hawaii's Auditor Effective?
- Can Citizens Access The Auditor's Reports?
- Does Hawaii Have Rules For Managing State-Run Pension Funds?
- Is Hawaii's Pension Fund Managed Transparently?
- Are Hawaii's Pension Fund Trustees Subject to Conflict of Interest Rules?
- Are Conflict of Interest Rules For Hawaii's Pension Fund Trustees Effective?
- Is Hawaii's Insurance Commissioner Protected From Political Influence?
- Do Conflicts of Interest Rules Apply to Hawaii's Insurance Commissioner?
- Are Conflict of Interest Rules Covering Hawaii's Insurance Commissioner Effective?
- Are Financial Disclosures By Hawaii's Insurance Commissioner Public?
- Are Insurance Companies' Filings Public in Hawaii?
- Are There Rules Governing How Political Parties in Hawaii Raise Money?
- What Are the Rules On How Hawaii Political Candidates Are Financed?
- Are Hawaii's Rules On How Political Parties Can Be Financed Effective?
- Are Hawaii's Political Financing Rules For Candidates Effective?
- Are Records Relating to the Financing of Political Parties Public?
- Are Records on the Financing of Candidates' Campaigns Public?
- Can Hawaii Lawmakers Be Held Accountable for Their Actions?
- Are Hawaii Lawmakers Governed By Conflict of Interest Rules?
- Are Conflict of Interest Rules For Hawaii Legislators Effective?
- Are Hawaii Legislators' Asset Disclosures Accessible to the Public?
- Can Citizens Access Hawaii's Legislative Processes and Documents?
- Can the Hawaii Legislature Provide Input to the State Budget?
- Is Hawaii's Budget Process Open to Public Participation?
- How Effective Is the Hawaii Legislature's Oversight of Public Funds?
- Are State Budget Records Public In Hawaii?
- Is Hawaii's Fiscal Budget Office Nonpartisan?
- Is the Public Procurement Process in Hawaii Effective?
- Can Citizens Access Hawaii's Public Procurement Process?
- Does Hawaii Have a Clear Definition of a Lobbyist?
- Are Lobbyists Required to Register With the State of Hawaii?
- Are Hawaii Lobbyists Required to Disclose Spending?
- Are Lobbyists' Hawaii Employers Required to Disclose Spending?
- Are Lobbyists' Filings Public in Hawaii?
- Does Hawaii Effectively Monitor Lobbyists' Disclosures?